Everybody is welcome to submit their nominations for Candidates to the 16th edition of the Polish Prize of Sérgio Vieira de Mello, the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (2002-2003). Nominations of candidates to the Prize will be accepted until June 30 this year. Registration takes place electronically. The announcement of results and the ceremony of presenting the Prize will take place on 24 October, 2019 at Villa Decius.
The Polish Prize of Sérgio Vieira de Mello, UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (2002-2003) was established upon the initiative of the Villa Decius Association in 2003. Since then it has been awarded annually to persons and non-governmental organisations for their activities enhancing peaceful co-existence and cooperation of communities, religions and cultures.
Candidates to the Prize may be persons and non-governmental organisations from Poland and abroad.
The Laurates will be selected by the Panel of Judges composed of High Representatives of: the President of the Republic of Poland; Ambassador of the Federative Republic of Brazil to Poland; Ambassador of the Kingdom of Sweden to Poland; UN High Commissioner for Refugees; Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs; Institute of National Remembrance; Polish Commissioner for Civil Rights Protection, Embassies, Consulates and Foundations supporting actions of the Villa Decius Association in matters related to human rights; Initiators and Founders of the Prize and the Chairman of the Villa Decius Association.
- Submitting a nomination in the Person category: https://forms.gle/F9gRi6Rb83FiKrhF6
- Submitting a nomination in the NGO category: https://forms.gle/xumjNK2X68HggwEz9
Laureates of the Prize:
- Tadeusz Mazowiecki (Poland) and the ‘One World’ Association (Poland), 2004
- Father Marian Żelazek SVD (India) and the Krzyżowa Foundation for Mutual Understanding in Europe (Poland), 2005
- Alaksandr Milinkiewicz (Belarus) and the Jewish Culture Festival (Poland), 2006
- Maryna Hulia (Russian Federation-Poland) and the Magurycz Association (Poland), 2007
- Krystyna Pryjomko-Serafin (United Kingdom) and the Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights (Poland); Honorary Prize – Szewach Weiss (Israel) and Distinction of the Panel of Judges – Michał Żejmis (Poland), 2008
- Fatos Lubonja (Albania) and the United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (Iraq); Honorary Prize – Leopold Unger (Belgium-Poland), 2009
- Nagy El-Khoury and Mohammad al-Nokkari (Lebanon) and the Memorial Association (Russian Federation); Honorary Prize – Late Andrzej Przewoźnik (Poland), 2010
- Hassan Omar Hassan (Kenya) and the Halina Nieć Legal Aids Centre (Poland); Honorary Prize – Bernard Kouchner (France), 2011
- Sister Rafael – Urszula Nałęcz (Rwanda-Poland) and the People in Need Association (Czech Republic); Honorary Prize – Arnold Wellman (USA), 2012
- Myrosław Marynowicz (Ukraine) and the Denis Hurley Centre (Republic of South Africa); Honorary Prize – Adam Daniel Rotfeld (Poland), 2013
- Leyla Yunus (Azerbaijan) and the Centre for Interethnic Dialogue and Tolerance Amalipe (Bulgaria), 2014
- Pietro Bartolo (Italy) and the La Strada Foundation against Trafficking in Persons and Slavery (Poland); Honorary Prize – Siergiej Kowalow (Russian Federation), 2015
- Tahira Abdullah (Pakistan) and the Cultures of Resistance Network Foundation; Honorary Prize – Staffan de Mistura (Italy), 2016
- Archbishop Alfons Nossol (Poland) and the Barzani Charity Foundation (Kurdistan), 2017
- Basil Kerski (Poland) and the Interreligious Council of Albania; Honorary Prize – Hanaa Edwar (Iraq), 2018
Ambassador of the Federative Republic of Brazil to Poland
Ambassador of the Kingdom of Sweden to Poland
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
+48 12 425 36 38, 425 36 44, 425 36 23